Friday, April 24, 2015

A Birthday Stitch Fix and Tips for a Better Box



I promise I've started writing "real" blog posts between these silly Stitch Fix ones, but it's harder to finish those deep-thoughty thoughts. It takes time -- uninterrupted time. Of which I have little.

So I bring you another Stitch Fix unboxing, because I can. And I like to. And it's my birthday. 

This box literally came ON my birthday, which was a Wednesday and for the most part just a normal mom-day. But I got a box in the mail! Happy birthday to me! I opened it right away and tried everything on.


Look! Pretty things! This box included two tops, a pair of jeans, a dress, and a necklace. I've since gone back into to my style profile and edited it to omit jewelry from my boxes for now. I'd much rather have clothes, and I'm just too picky when it comes to jewelry (and I don't like paying much for it).

Ok, on to the pieces!!


First I tried on the jeans. They are the Aaron Distressed Skinny Jeans by Just Black, size 27. I was a little thrown off, because though the style card said they were a skinny jean, the tag on the item said they were a straight leg fit. Whatever, it didn't matter much because I didn't like the fit of these on me. I've never tried this brand before, so maybe that was it; or it could've just been that the fit was just wrong for my body. I dunno. They were tight. They fit more like a size 2, and not a 4. And they were too long. And they were about $80. So for uncomfortable pants that I'd have to hem myself: that's a no.

But I'll show you anyway. I actually really liked the color and the distressing:


I put on the yellow Sicily Pintuck Detail Silk Top by Daniel Rainn with the jeans. I really love yellow, and I really wanted to keep this!! Plus, silk. Yummy. 


But it was so sheer, you guys. And really pricey. 


I put it on, took it off, and then put it back on again, because I loved it. I loved the color, and the style was adorable. But, 1.) Pricey, like $78 pricey. I don't pay that much for shirts, 2.) The sleeves were cap-sleeves and made me look really broad through the shoulders, and the shape of the body was lacking in....shape. Not very flattering, and 3.) Sheer. I'd have to wear a cami, and I'm too lazy for that. Also, if I'm going to pay almost $80 for a shirt, it better not need another shirt to make it wearable.

So with much regret, it went back to the Stitch Fix Mecca.

Next was the maxi dress! Another maxi, and I was looking forward to this one. As you may recall, my last fix had a maxi in it which ended up being too big. This one fit perfectly, since I changed my sizing for dresses in my style profile. 


Perfect length!! Here's another, a little closer so you can see the fit and the necklace they sent me as well:


This is the Papermoon Waters Printed Maxi Dress, size small. It's so soft. It fits nicely. But I'm not loving the colorful aztecian pattern. Also, sorry about my face. It's really kind of Disney villianesque here. I really am enjoying myself. 

And the final item, the Market and Spruce Floral Print Sleeveless Top. It's the perfect color red. It's not patriotic red, or cherry red, or superman red; it's like Hawaii, hot summer nights, I'm the coolest girl in the room red. That's just my opinion though. 


I've taken off the Just Black jeans, and am trying this on with my Mavi distressed jeans. I like it. Here's a better pic:


It's longer in the back, I like that. And the fabric is breathable and lightweight without being at all sheer. Winner!!


It makes me happy. I kept this and only this. I was really hoping I'd love everything in this box, because I pretty much had my husband's permission to buy the whole lot for my birthday. And I like to take advantage of such opportunities. 

Oh, this top was around $40, minus my $20 styling fee, so it was like $24 with tax. Not bad, not bad at all. I wore it the next day to my hair appointment.

So that's really it, folks. But before I sign off, I wanted to give a few tips on how to get great fixes.

Stitch Fix is obviously a company that, sight unseen, styles you, a complete stranger with unique likes and dislikes. Even if they have the most scientific formulaic statistical whatever and the best stylists in the world, they are not going to "get you" 100% every single time. Plus, their resources are limited, and you have a budget.

But here are some ways to make sure (or, mostly sure) you will get a box of amazing stuff that you love, that fits, and that you can afford. The goal should be to buy at least one item, and love it, so you don't "waist" your $20 styling fee (though it's not really a complete waist, as you've just been sent a free box of clothes to try on at your leisure, yes?).

Here it is:

1.) Be honest about your size, and remember these are women's sizes, not juniors, so if you're typically a medium in tops at Forever21, you may be a size small. Also, I find dress sizing to run on the small side. I was a small in women's tops, but a medium in dresses still at a size 6. Often you'll figure all of this out as you go, though. But be aware you may have to tweak your sizes now and then.

2.) Give really detailed feedback for each item. You have limited space on the feedback form, so use it wisely. Be specific about why you didn't like something, or if you did like it, why you didn't buy it. That may seem like the same thing, but it's not. The details matter. You could say something like, "Maxi dresses are not for me, please stop sending them." Or you could say, "The fit was perfect, but I hate busy patterns. I prefer neutral colors and patterns." Remember, you're not there to stroke any one's ego, but be polite too. It's a fine line.

3.) If you keep getting fixes you don't like, go back to your style profile and switch some things around. Change it up. Seriously, just start changing around your likes and dislikes, set it to include jewelry or accessories (like purses), or cut those things out. You can set it to include only dresses, or only pants. You can choose colors you do not want to see in your boxes, or fabrics you don't want, etc. after a few polyester fails, I just set my profile to not include polyester. 

4.) Be honest about your budget. If you want the lowest cost in your fixes that they can possibly find for you, tell them! You can mark "The cheaper the better" for everything the send in your profile. If they happen to squeak something in your box that you think is overpriced, let them know in your feedback. You can also tell your stylist that you prefer the total cost of the box to be under "x" amount, that way you can budget for it, just in case you really fall in love with everything. 

I don't know if that's just more confusing or helpful. Hopefully the latter. Either way, I enjoyed this box, and I love this service! It's fun and I love unwrapping stuff, whether it's my birthday or not. 

If you want to give it a try, you can click here to sign up and I will get a small credit on my account when your first box ships! Thanks you guys, and have a great weekend!













No comments:

Post a Comment